1. The name of the Association shall be “The Rowlands Castle Association” or RCA.
2. The aim of the Association is to conserve the character of Rowlands Castle, to provide a channel of communication on matters of local interest and to enhance the life of the village.
3. Each year, the Committee shall invite a President to act as guardian of this aim. The President shall not be a member of the Committee, nor vote on it but may, at his own discretion, attend Committee meetings and counsel the Committee, or individual members of it. There is no limit on the number of consecutive years the President may serve. However, the Committee will confirm at the AGM whether it wishes to invite the President to continue for the following year.
The committee may also appoint a Vice President to support the President in his/her role. He/she will also be confirmed in role at the AGM.
4. The Association shall be strictly unaligned to any political party
5. All residents over the age of 18 of Rowlands Castle, Finchdean, Dean Lane End, Idsworth and Forestside shall be members of the Association. Only members of the Association shall be entitled to vote at General Meetings or serve on the committee or as President or Vice President.
6. The appropriate voluntary annual contribution shall be decided by the Committee on the recommendation of the Treasurer and shall be collected each summer.
7. The management of the Association shall be entrusted to a Committee consisting of the following officers: Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and up to eight other members, all of whom shall be elected annually at an Annual General Meeting (AGM). The Committee may also co-opt members.
8. The date of the AGM will be publicised on the Grapevine and the RCA noticeboard at least 28 days prior to the AGM. Nominations for officers and members of the Committee must be submitted in writing to the current Chair and will be closed ten days prior to the AGM. Nominee, proposer and seconder must be members of the RCA. Nominations will be publicised on the Grapevine and the RCA notice board seven days prior to the AGM.
The President (or Vice President) will normally chair the AGM during elections.
[Previously: Nominations for officers and members of the Committee will normally be made at the AGM, from the floor. The President will normally chair the AGM during elections.]
9. Committee members will be limited to 3 consecutive terms of office in any 4 years, and to only 2 terms as Chairman in any 3 years unless a majority of Committee members and members attending the AGM consider that this should be waived in individual cases where a person is willing to continue. This waiver will last for one year and can only be renewed by a resolution of the AGM.
Four members shall constitute a quorum. All members of the Committee are entitled to vote, and all motions before the Committee shall be decided by consensus. The Committee shall elect a Vice-Chairman to deputise for the Chairman.
10. Members of the Parish, District and County Councils shall not be eligible for election to the Committee or to serve as President or Vice President.
11. The Committee will be responsible for the publication and distribution of a magazine for all villagers.
12. The Committee is to meet at least four times per year. Minutes of each Committee meeting shall be prepared by the Secretary, approved at the subsequent meeting and signed by the Chairman. The minutes shall be posted on the RCA noticeboard within 1 week of signature.
13. All funds of the Association shall be received by the Treasurer and paid into the bank account of the Association. All cheques of the Association shall be signed by two of the following officers: Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer. An audited income and expenditure account shall be presented by the Treasurer at the AGM, and posted on the RCA noticeboard before the end of the calendar year.
14. The start of the Association’s financial year shall be 1st January and the AGM held within sixty days of this date.
15. All property of the Association shall be assigned for safe keeping by a member of the Committee, with details recorded in the minutes of a Committee meeting at least once per year.
16. Any member of the Association may submit, to any officer of the Committee, a written proposal to change or add to these rules. If this proposal is received at least one month before the next AGM, it must be considered by the AGM. If a minimum of 12 members submit, to any officer of the Committee, a demand for an Extraordinary General Meeting, the Committee must convene one not less than seven and not more than 28 days from the receipt
If, at a General
Meeting, a resolution is proposed for the dissolution of the
association, and this is supported by a majority of those members
present, a Special Meeting shall be held not less than six weeks later.
At least four weeks written notice of that Special Meeting shall be
given. For the resolution to be adopted at that Special Meeting it shall
have the support of a majority of the members present.